Lodge™ Solar Speaker 4
Do This First!
We know you can hardly wait to play your favorite tunes on the Lodge Solar Speaker 4. But, before you do, please make sure you complete the following two steps first:
- To get the best experience, charge your speaker to 2-3 LED dots on the battery charging indicator (50-75%) by setting your speaker outside in the sun, or using the supplied USB-C cable and a 5V 1.5-2.0A charging block (not supplied). When you turn the power on and see the 2-3 LEDs on the speaker blinking, the speaker is ready to rock!
- For better and lasting battery health, we recommend that you charge your speaker to at least 2-3 LED dots on the battery charge indicator (50-75%).
What's in the box
- Customer "Thank You" card
- USB-C cable
- 2-piece in-ground stake and metal plate
- Plastic bag with screws to assemble in-ground stake and secure speaker to the metal plate
The Lodge App
Download the Lodge App (available for download April 21, 2023) from the Apple App Store for iOS devices or from the Google Play Store for Android devices. The app will allow you to perform the following basic functions:
- Over-the-air firmware updates for single and multiple speaker configurations
- Checking battery levels (available in the future)
- Modifying EQ settings for your speakers (available in the future)
The app will continue to be enhanced and updated to make your experience with the speaker easier and more seamless in the future.
Speaker Control Panel
- Power - LED backlit
- Battery Charge Status - LED backlit
- Volume Down
- Volume Up
- Lodge Link - LED backlit
- Bluetooth - LED backlit
- USB-C Port (not shown, located on lower back of speaker)
Charging the speaker for the first time
- The speaker is shipped partially charged. Transit times and warehousing will likely result in the speaker having zero charge left by the time you get them in your hands.
- For better and lasting battery health, we recommend that you charge your speaker to at least 2-3 LED dots on the battery charge indicator (50-75%).
- The best way to charge the speaker is outside in the sun (its Solar after all!). You can charge the speaker by setting your speaker outside in the sun. As a secondary option, charge the speaker by plugging it in using the supplied USB-C cable and a 5V 1.5-2.0A charging block (not supplied).
Charging the speaker using sunlight
- When the speaker is outside, the 4 solar panels (3 sides and top) will constantly charge the battery by capturing energy from the sun.
- The charge indicator is to the right of the power button and consists of 4 small LED lights. When charging, the lights will flash white (one light for the lowest amount of charge and then increasing as the speaker acquires more charge). When fully charged, all 4 lights will be on and show a steady white glow.
- Once fully charged, as long as the speaker is outside and capturing energy from the sun, it will stay charged. The speaker can provide 2-3 hours of average play time for every hour of sunlight (keep in mind that the location of the speaker, the weather conditions, direct or indirect exposure to sunlight all can impact the rate at the which the speaker charges and stays charged).
- With typical usage, a fully charged Lodge speaker will provide up-to 15 hours of continuous play time when it is not being charged by the sun or other source. Battery performance will vary depending on the type of music played and the volume at which it is played.
Installing with the included speaker stake
- Find the right location in your backyard for the stake. Select a location that will allow the speaker to be exposed to direct sunlight so it can always be charging (see image for location options & the potential impact to charging time). Partial sun/shade will reduce your speaker's charge and runtime.
- The stake comes in two pieces. Use the included screws to connect the two pieces of the stake (do not over-tighten the screws).
- Attach the circular metal plate to the top of the speaker stake, using the supplied screws. Now the stake is ready to be installed in ground at the location you have selected. Taking care not to bend the metal plate, drive the stake into the ground until secure, using a rubber mallet or similar tool (caution: make sure the area you selected to install the stake does not have buried cables, wires, irrigation pipes, etc.).
- Place the speaker on top of the stake. The bottom of the speaker has powerful mini-magnets that firmly attach the speaker to the metal plate on top of the stake. The speaker remains secure on top of the stake under everyday, normal conditions. For additional security and a permanent installation, you can use the supplied thumbscrew to secure the speaker to the plate.
Using the speaker around the backyard
The speaker can be used as a free-standing speaker anywhere around the backyard.
- Place on a flat surface
- Make sure the speaker has exposure to sunlight for continuous charging
Connecting a device to the speaker for the first time
- On the left side of the speaker control panel, press the power button – the power button will light up. The battery charge status LED lights will come on. There will be a "welcome" voice prompt.
- On the right side of the speaker control panel, find and press the Bluetooth button. The Bluetooth status is indicated by:
- Bluetooth button flashing: looking to pair with device
- Bluetooth button light solid plus ‘Connected’ voice prompt confirmation: connected to device
- On your device, find your Bluetooth settings and confirm that Bluetooth is on
- Search for Lodge Audio under Bluetooth
- Select Lodge Audio on your device
- When connected, you will hear an audible confirmation, ‘Connected’.
- Select the audio source on your device that you want to play through the speaker (Apple Music, Spotify, etc.)
- To turn volume up, press and hold the + button
- To turn volume down, press and hold the – button
- To play or pause the content, press the play/pause button on the control panel.
Connecting additional speakers
Multiple speakers get connected to one another in a "hub & spoke" configuration. The main speaker (the first one you connect to your device) is the "hub" speaker. All additional speakers are designated "spoke" speakers and get connected to the main (hub) speaker.
To connect additional speaker(s):
- Turn on the speaker that will be the "hub" speaker.
- Confirm that it is connected to the device you will be using. If you previously connected this device to the speaker, search for Lodge audio under Bluetooth on your device and connect. If this is the first time you are connecting the speaker to your device, follow the steps under "connecting your speaker for the first time" above.
- Press the link button on control panel of the speaker (hub) connected to your device. The link button will flash and provide audible confirmation "Entering LodgeLink mode," indicating that it is ready to link with another speaker.
- Turn on the additional "spoke" speaker.
- Press the link button on the additional speaker. You will hear the audible confirmation "Entering LodgeLink mode." The link buttons on both the main (hub) speaker and the additional (spoke) speaker will show a steady white glow.
- Add more speakers using steps 1-4 above.
- Getting out of LodgeLink: Press the LodgeLink button on the speaker and you will hear "Leaving LodgeLink mode."
Stereo or Party modes
Available with future firmware update – anticipated May 2023 release
When using two speakers, you have the option to listen to them in Party mode (each speaker is in mono mode) or Stereo mode (speakers are configured as left and right speakers and play stereo content). Note: the speaker(s) are shipped in Party mode setting as the default.
To toggle from Mono to Stereo (2-speaker configuration only):
- Identify the speaker you will designate as the ‘left’ speaker. On the speaker control panel, press and hold the play/pause and volume down (-) buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds.
- Identify the speaker you will designate as the ‘right’ speaker. On the speaker control panel, press and hold the play/pause and volume up (+) buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds.
- The speakers are now in Stereo Mode.
- To return the speakers to Mono Mode, press and hold the play/pause button for 5 seconds.
Disconnecting a mobile device
- Select Lodge on the Bluetooth device list and select disconnect, or
- Turn Bluetooth setting off on your device
Reconnecting a mobile device
- After the speaker is powered on, go to the Bluetooth setting on your device and select Lodge Audio. The voice prompt ‘connected’ will serve as confirmation that your device is reconnected to the speaker.
- If you have multiple speakers connected, once the hub speaker is connected to your device, the spoke speakers will automatically connect to the hub speaker, ensuring multiple speaker performance.
Cleaning and care for your Lodge speaker
- Your speaker is splash resistant and dustproof. It is rated IP66. This means that the speaker can withstand water splashing on it from rain, sprinklers, etc. and is resistant to dust and dirt. It can handle minor ingress of moisture.
- Do NOT submerge the speaker under water.
- If the speaker is exposed to salt, chlorinated water, dust or other residue, gently rinse with fresh water following the exposure to remove residue.
- Never attempt to charge the speaker using the USB-C connection while it is wet. Doing so may cause damage to the speaker.
Additional important information
Resetting the speaker:
- To perform a hard reset, press the volume up (+) and volume down (-) buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds
Control panel appearance:
- Default – All LED lights on the control panel are off.
- Status check – Pressing any button on the control panel will light the backlit symbols (Power, LodgeLink, and Bluetooth) for 10 seconds.
- Battery Protection Mode – If the 4 battery LEDs are flashing in sequence OR the Power, LodgeLink and Bluetooth symbols are flashing, this means that the speaker is in battery protection mode. Please charge the speaker by placing the speaker out in the sun OR using the supplied USB-C cable and a 5V 1.5-2.0A charging block until you hear the voice prompt, "Power off." Now the speaker can continue to be charged outside in the sun or using the USB-C input. Remember, the best place to charge the speaker is outside in the sun.
- Battery charging indicator LEDs flashing – When the speaker is turned on and getting a charge from the sun or the USB-C connection, the LED’s will flash. This indicates that the speaker is charging.
Safety & Regulatory Information
Important safety instructions:
- Read the instructions.
- Keep the instructions.
- Heed all warnings in this document.
- Follow all instructions.
- Do not install near any heat sources such as radiators, heat registers, stoves, or other apparatus (including amplifiers) that produce heat.
- Only use attachments & accessories specified by the manufacturer.
- Refer all servicing to qualified personnel. Servicing is required when the apparatus does not operate normally or has been physically damaged.
- If the speaker is exposed to salt, chlorinated water, dust or other residue, gently rinse with fresh water following the exposure to remove residue
- If you need to use the USB-C port to charge the speaker, make sure the speaker and the USB-C connector port is fully dry before charging.
Warnings & Cautions
This symbol means there are important operating & maintenance instructions in this guide.
This product contains magnetic material. Consult your physician on whether this might affect your implantable medical device.
- Keep the product away from fire and heat sources. Do NOT place naked flame sources, such as lighted candles, on or near the product.
- Do NOT make unauthorized alterations to this product.
- Do NOT use a power inverter with this product.
- Do not expose products containing batteries to excessive heat (near fire, etc.). Read manufacturer’s recommendations for safe and tested temperature range for optimum performance.
- The product label is located on the bottom of the product
Regulatory & Legal Information
NOTE: This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B digital device, pursuant to Part 15 of the FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a residential installation. This equipment generates, uses, and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communications. However, there is no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular installation. If this equipment does cause harmful interference to radio or television reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment off and on, the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or more of the following measures:
- Reorient or relocate the product.
- Increase the separation between the equipment and receiver.
- Connect the equipment into an outlet on a circuit different from that to which the receiver is connected.
- Consult the dealer or an experienced radio/TV technician for help.
Changes or modifications not expressly approved by Lodge Outdoors could void the user’s authority to operate this equipment. This device complies with part 15 of the FCC Rules and with ISED Canada license-exempt RSS standard(s). Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) This device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation of the device. This device complies with FCC and ISED Canada radiation exposure limits set forth for general population. This transmitter must not be co-located or operating in conjunction with any other antenna or transmitter.
Regulatory Information - Canada
This device complies with Industry Canada license-exempt RSS standard(s). Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) this device may not cause interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference, including interference that may cause undesired operation of the device.
Le présent appareil est conforme aux CNR d’Industrie Canada applicables aux appareils radio exempts de licence. L’exploitation est autorisée aux deux conditions suivantes: (1) l’appareil ne doit pas produire de brouillage, et (2) l’utilisateur de l’appareil doit accepter tout brouillage radioélectrique subi, même si le brouillage est susceptible d’en compromettre le fonctionnement.
To comply with ISED CANADA and FCC RF exposure compliance requirements, this device must be installed in such a way to allow all persons to maintain a minimum separation distance of 20cm from the device and its internal antenna while in operation.
REMARQUE IMPORTANTE: Pour se conformer aux exigences d’exposition aux RF d’ISED CANADA et de la FCC, cet appareil doit être installé de manière à permettre à toutes les personnes de maintenir une distance de séparation minimale de 20cm de l’appareil et de son antenne interne pendant son fonctionnement.
Management Regulation for Low-power Radio-frequency Devices
According to “Management Regulation for Low-power Radio-frequency Devices” without permission granted by the NCC, any company, enterprise, or user is not allowed to change frequency, enhance transmitting power or alter original characteristic as well as performance to an approved low power radio-frequency devices.
The low power radio-frequency devices shall not influence aircraft security and interfere legal communications; If found, the user shall cease operating immediately until no interference is achieved. The said legal communications means radio communications operated in compliance with the Telecommunications Act.
The low power radio-frequency devices must be susceptible with the interference from legal communications or ISM radio wave radiated devices.
DON’T attempt to remove the rechargeable lithium-ion battery from this product. Contact your local Lodge retailer or other qualified professional for recycling and disposal.
and Additional General Information
Please keep your receipt. Now is a good time to register your Lodge speaker. You can easily do this by going to www.lodgesound.com/productregistration.
The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by Lodge Outdoors is under license. Copyright 2023 Lodge Outdoors. No part of this work may be reproduced, modified, distributed or otherwise used without prior written permission.
This section includes:
- Intellectual Property
By purchasing, downloading or using Lodge products and services, you must be 18 years of age or older, unless a legal guardian or parent is agreeing to these terms on your behalf. You cannot access or use the services if you are barred from the services under applicable law or were previously removed or suspended from the services.
By using Lodge products and services, you agree to the terms of the Lodge Privacy statement. Your personal information is managed and processed in accordance with the Lodge Privacy statement. Please read the terms of the Privacy statement and ensure your understanding. For questions related to the Privacy statement, please contact us at email@example.com.
Lodge grants you a limited, worldwide, non- exclusive, non-transferable, revocable personal license (without the right to sub-license) to access, view, and use the Services and Content, and access and use any software embedded into Lodge products or devices, whether such software is provided by us or third parties. This license is provided solely for your personal, noncommercial use and enjoyment of the Services as permitted in these Terms.
You agree not to copy, modify, or reverse engineer the Product to the extent that such restriction is not prohibited by law. Except for the limited license granted herein, Lodge and its suppliers hereby retain all right, title and interest in and to all worldwide intellectual property rights embodied in the Products, Services and the Software.
You acknowledge and agree that the technology embedded in and used to create the Product constitute valuable trade secrets, intellectual property and expertise of Lodge. To the extent You come into possession through authorized use of the Product of any such trade secrets and/or intellectual property, You will not disclose them to any third party. Lodge Products are also protected by one or more patents.
Lodge warrants that for a period of 90 days after the date of original purchase, the product will be free from defect in workmanship and materials.
Limitations - The foregoing warranty does not extend to problems in the Product that result from:
- use of the Product in a way for which it was not designed
- use of the Product with other products, hardware or products not supplied by, and inconsistent with the documentation provided by Lodge
- failure to update the product with firmware fixes made available by Lodge.
Furthermore, Lodge sells its Products directly from Lodgesound.com and through select authorized dealers and authorized online resellers. Purchase of a Product from or through anyone (including any retailer, reseller, or any online source) other than Lodge, an authorized Lodge dealer, or authorized Lodge online reseller VOIDS the applicable warranty offered by Lodge on such Product, regardless of the condition of such Product or whether the Product is “new” or “used.”
Disclaimer – Except as set forth above, Lodge makes no warranties, other than those implied by statute, with respect to the product. Lodge and its suppliers disclaim all other such warranties and conditions. The user of the product assumes all responsibilities for selection of the product to achieve intended results, and for the installation and use of the product. No oral or written information or advice given by Lodge or a Lodge authorized representative shall create a warranty.
Lodge Services and Content are protected by copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, and other laws of the United States and foreign jurisdictions. Except as expressly provided in these terms, Lodge and its licensors exclusively own all right, title and interest in the Services and Content, including all intellectual property. Any unauthorized use of any material may violate copyright laws, trademark laws, the laws of privacy and publicity, and communications regulations and statutes.